Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Weekend

Another fun weekend! Saturday was the Scottish Highland Games. I've heard about it for years, but never made it out. It was a lot of fun. They had some athletic events like a hammer toss, shot-put, and caber toss, along with women's rugby, which was pretty interesting to watch. Several clans had tents set up, some had crafts and some had genealogy information. We saw a few Highland cattle (very hairy), some nice swords, and some old rifles. We stuck around for a bit to listen to the pipe and drum bands. I picked up a couple souvenirs just for fun.

After that we went up to the lake and went kayaking. We did about 1.5 miles, round trip. I think I'm ready for a long trip my brother and dad took. They drove the kayaks out to Marsh Lake, then took the channels back through two other lakes. It ends up being about five miles. As long as it isn't too windy and the water is calm, it shouldn't be hard to do.

Sunday we met my sister-in-law at the zoo and picked up Brock while she took little Sarah home. As we walked around, we ran into Dave, JJ, William, and Andrew. After talking to them for just a few seconds, we saw Kevin, Lisa, Lisa's mom, and Gavin come around the corner. We hung out for about an hour, letting the kids chase each other around and play. Despite claims otherwise, I think Brock was actually worn out later. I thought he'd never run out of energy. Kids are funny.

I've always enjoyed GermanFest, especially since both Paula and I have German ancestors. But I enjoyed the Highland games more, even though neither of us has any Scottish heritage. There's more to do and see at the Highland games. The food and drink is better at GermanFest though.


-- C.

1 Comments:

Blogger MR said...

Yeah, the Highland games are great! If you catch someone's head, you get to keep it!

"There can be only ONE!"

June 12, 2007 10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home