Thursday, November 09, 2006

Cars (and cheese, believe it or not)

No, not the recent popular movie. Real cars. The type that break down and cost an arm and a leg. And break down they do! They have no concern about you – if you recently bought a house and are trying to furnish it with new appliances. They just up and decide to break.

I'm speaking of Paula's car. A couple weeks ago it started complaining and making noise when you turned. We added some power steering fluid and that fixed the sound. For a few days at least. When it started making noises again, adding power steering fluid wasn't enough to quiet it. We took it to a nearby shop and he confirmed our suspicions of the puddle under her car. There was a leak in the steering system. He said it would be several hundred dollars to fix it. This car is about 8 years old with 140k miles on it. Putting that much money into it didn't seem like a good idea. So we started looking around for a nice used car.

The mechanic tried to fix the leak, but it didn't take. Paula had to put all her weight into the steering wheel when turning. Earlier this week she started bumming rides to work in order to avoid driving her car.

We looked at a couple cars, even test-drove one. I've had my Saturn SL for 10 years and have been very happy with it. On Sunday we drove through the Saturn used-car lot and spotted some VUEs that weren't too old and were almost in our price range. Tuesday we went out and talked to a salesman. We found a black 2005 VUE that met our needs and we took it for a test drive. He even let us take it home for the night. We talked it over and decided to go ahead and get it (even though Paula was hoping for one of those new four-door Jeep Wranglers, even though she's speculating it was an error and we should get a discount on it – who's ever seen a four-door Jeep before?).

We met with the salesman again last night and finalized the deal. We now own (read: in the process of purchasing over several months) a 2005 VUE. I've liked the looks of them and have wanted one ever since they came out. I even wanted a black one (Paula wanted green or maybe that burnt-orange/bronze color). She really likes it though. It's pretty peppy (V6 FWD) and has some "get-up-and-go." *

I’d post pictures but it's always dark out when I have access to it (she drives it during the day). And trying to take a picture of a black car at night is rather futile. But expect pictures soon.


-- C.
EDIT: added pic:
DSC07182

* When my get-up-and-go
has got up and went,
I hanker fer a hunk o’ cheese.

If yer headin’ for a showdown,
and yer feelin’ kinda lowdown,
then hanker fer a hunk o’ cheese!

If yer ten gallon hat
is feelin’ five gallons flat
then hanker fer a hunk o’ cheese.

It’s a real winner,
and yet won’t spoil my dinner
I hanker fer a hunk o’ cheese

I hanker fer a hunk o’
A slab a slice a chunk o’
I hanker fer a hunk o’ cheese.
Look a wagon wheel!

It's funny what you remember and what you don't. I can't remember passwords to half the servers I have access to, but I remembered bits and pieces of this song that I haven't heard in 20 years.

PS: The spell-checker nearly had a heart attack going over that song. "What?! That's not a word. You can't do that! And what the heck is this?! Argh!"

Site with lyrics and links

2 Comments:

Blogger Marcus said...

Very, very funny! I have tried Waynedale Auto and found it to be worth the trip. I guess the Saturns are very reliable cars. That is amazing! Thanks for the nostalgia

November 09, 2006 11:27 AM  
Blogger davesbeachbar said...

Jen and I were real close to getting a vue since her saturn has been a tank over the past 6 years,(even though now it burns oil)with little to no repair. Or maybe an Escape when we found the jeep a little more in our price range. Good luck trying to get the keys away from Paula.

WOW what a great "family" car to get, "family" guy. (God I sound like a woman)

Thanks for the Flashback too!!

November 09, 2006 1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home