Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Moral support

I love my wife and my mother, but in some instances they are not the best ones to look to for moral support.

I was getting an IV inserted into the back of my hand, which is an uncomfortable process, but I was toughing it out. Not wanting to watch the nurse do her work, I glanced at my wife to keep my mind off the needle going into the thin, sensitive, skin. She had this look of fear and disgust on her face as she watched the nurse. I swear, she was actually a little pale.

That wasn't the distraction I was hoping for.

I was expecting a sweet smile, a little pat on the hand (the one not being assulted), and some reassurance; not a look of dread and nausea.

I should have known better. The same thing happened during the original procedure. The nurse was inserting the IV, but that time she had a bad needle and it didn't actually pierce the (thin, sensitive) skin (on the back of my hand). After a couple tries she gave up and got a different needle. So I look to my wife and mom for reassurance and a distraction. But they both looked like they were about to pass out as they stared, watching the whole process.

"What are you doing?" I confronted them, "That's not helping!"

They explained, "It looks painful."

"Well it *IS* painful. Stop watching if it bothers you so much."

Next time I'll remember and either make them leave or have them watch TV instead.


-- C.

Oh, and she just had to take a picture of me "in that cute little hat."

(Why does it look like I'm missing teeth?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home