Monday, October 31, 2005

Knowledge is Power

All I really need to know I learned in Robert Fulghum's "All I really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten."

It's worth repeating:
Share Everything.
Play fair.
Don't hit people.
Put things back where you found them.
Clean up your own mess.
Don't take things that aren't yours.
Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody.
Wash your hands before you eat.
Flush.
Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.

This book came out in the 80s I believe, and was very popular. I always wanted to read it, but kept forgetting about it. But when my new wife moved her books into my apartment (more than twice the number of books I have; and I thought I read alot), I saw this in her collection. So I read it, and it's good. I also read his next two books, "It was on Fire when I Lay Down on it," and "UH-OH: Some Observations from Both Sides of the Refrigerator Door." All three were fun to read, but I liked the first on the best. I see he has several other books out that look interesting. I'll have to add them to my Christmas list.

But as I said, I thought I read a lot, but my wife easily has twice as many books as I do. Most of mine are from high school and college, Sci-fi and Fantasy stuff. Hers are more classy, though she has a good collection of fiction, too. Oh, and two of her suggestions were published in volume 2 of "Live and Learn and Pass it on."

More parents should teach their children' Mr. Fulghum's list.


-- C.
PS: Yes, I did buy the book with my wife's suggestions and her name is listed in the credits.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home