Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Differences between men and women

DISCLAIMER: This is a light-hearted post, pointing out differences between men and women. Qualifiers such as "always" and "never" should not be taken literally; I am well aware of the fact that not all women act alike and not all men act alike. Take a deep breath.

Men don't notice colors. I was out driving around with my wife and she kept pointing out cars with colors she liked. "That's a pretty color." That's not a phrase most men use very often, but I've actually found myself saying it. The worst part is I do it even when she isn't around. I see a nice car and I think, "Hmm, that's a pretty color." And then I think, "What the %$#@ did I just think?!" I never thought of car colors before she started pointing them out. Fortunately I've yet to say that around any of my male friends.

Another phrase that isn't in men's vocabulary, "That's a nice color on you." When's the last time any of you guys said that to another guy, let alone a woman? Yet I often hear my wife say that to other women. It's like a greeting. Among guys it'd be, "Did you see the [insert sport here] game last night?" or "Did you buy [newest video game] yet?" It isn't just colors either. Articles of clothing are often topics of converstaion between women. For example: socks. I have various brown socks for work and white socks for non-work. That's about as much thought as most men put into it. But women have colored socks, rainbow socks, individually-toed socks, snowmen socks, cat socks, fuzzy socks, and socks for any holiday you can think of. Sometimes they even have little balls and/or tassels on them! It boggles the male mind.

And women share clothing. I overheard a conversation between my wife and her best friend. Her best friend liked my wife's shoes. My wife asks, "Do you want to try them on?" And sure enough, just standing there, they try on each other's shoes. Men don't do that. It wouldn't even cross a guy's mind to ask to try on their friends' shoes.

Oh well. Women are weird.
Or is it just me?


-- C.
PS: You can exhale now.


EDIT: I originally wrote this on a message board, but thought I'd share it here, too. And I just have to add this one response:

"I call this the Windows 3.1 Syndrom...they only see in 16 colors. Colors like mauve, garnet, beige, fucia are all lost on men...well, unless it is the recognized jersey color of their favorite football team."


And my reply:

"Just off the top of my head, I came up with a list of common colors:
red, blue, green, yellow, orange,
white, black, brown, grey, gold, silver,
pink, purple, beige, maroon.

That's only 15. Everything else is a combination or sub-set of the above (light blue, dark green, bright red, off-white, bluish-green). Even the last few are a stretch; they're just combinations of the basics.

That's all ya need!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home