Monday, September 18, 2006

Another busy weekend at the new house

Saturday I got to take the cats to the vet. I've never taken the cats to the vet before, and Paula was busy, so I got to do it all by myself. I got the carrier out and Pepper just walked right in. Sam, on the other hand, ran and hid under the bed. I finally dug him out and got him in the carrier, then took them both out to the car. They whined and complained the whole drive.
The vet and the vet tech were both very nice. They weighed Pepper (our black cat) at 13 pounds (good thing I'm not superstitious). Sam is a whopping 16 pounds (the vet said they had a dog in the next room that was only 4 pounds).
Poor Sam's fur was matted down pretty badly near his tail. They offered to shave it off, which is what we were hoping for. Now Sam has a big bare butt! (For those of you who have never met Sam, he's a Maine Coon Cat – very long hair.) They both got their shots, and when the vet was done, they both eagerly climbed into the carrier, ready for the drive home. And they didn't make a peep after we left the vet (too traumatized?).

Sunday was busy too. We finally borrowed a self-propelled mower from her dad. After sweeping up a trash bag full of acorns from our driveway and front sidewalk, we mowed the front yard. Oh, there were still plenty of acorns in the yard. I did my best to get sticks out of the way, but those acorns were not fun to mow over.

The back yard had been growing like mad. It didn't help that we hadn't mowed in the three weeks we've been there. Our lot is about 1/3 of an acre, and most of it is in the back. There isn't much else back there, so it was pretty straight forward. We took turns and got it whipped back into shape. Over all, it took about three hours (including all the sweeping). I'm sure it won't take that long as we get used to the yard.

I gotta tell you, it wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. I've always lived in apartments since moving out of my parents, and really (REALLY!) wasn't looking forward to mowing. But we got through it and everything looks pretty nice.

Oh, and I found a pile of hair by the corner of the house. Looking closer, I saw... little bones in there too. I don't know if it was a small cat, or a rabbit, or what. I wasn't sure if I should mention it to Paula or not. I figured it was her house too, she might want to know about it. That probably wasn't a good idea; she didn't react well. We only had a snow shovel and that wasn't going to get the job done. After a quick trip to the hardware store for a real shovel (and some work gloves), I dug up the mess and threw it away.

Ah, the fun of being a home-owner!


-- C.

3 Comments:

Blogger Marcus said...

Owning a home, means you are the maintaince person, responsible for keeping up appearances. The projects and chores, they never end. Why do you think people end up having kids (either their own, borrowing some, or adopting)?

Look, I know it's a big job, but you can't mow at four years old, but you can clean windows!

September 18, 2006 11:05 AM  
Blogger davesbeachbar said...

yep it sucks to have to keep up with the lawn. Looking how tall it is and then making time to cut it, all along keeping an eye on the weather forcast for rain. You will get the knack of it. Lucky for you the season is almost over for cutting grass. Now it will be raking leaves (have to buy a good wide rake) and shoveling snow.

September 19, 2006 10:51 AM  
Blogger MR said...

Which reminds me that I need to go shopping for a snowblower, no more shoveling for me, I'm done with that crap as of this year! This isn't like the patio furniture thing, I MEAN it!

I have to dispute the line that the projects are neverending. Some people buy a house they want to fix up, other people (like myself) by a house they like and occassionally do something to spruce it up. But I've found that no matter what the hurdle is you're approaching, there is always someone around to say "IT WAS HELL!" Then you do it and it's nothing. I would say there are as many projects as you want there to be. And those are labors of love.

Mowing the lawn on the other hand definitely got old for me pretty fast. Although I felt better about it this year since my lawn seems to be born again. But, like Dave said, the mature trees on my property that made it so appealing to me when I bought are about to let loose and loose-leaf my lawn. I have the mulcher on my tractor, but raking is better, and I want to keep the healthy lawn I had this year so I'm going to be out there pulling my shoulder out of its socket getting these leaves bagged up and kicked to the curb.

September 19, 2006 8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home