Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Health

The company I work for is planning a trial of a homeopathic health plan. They'll pay for the tests and herbs and supplements, and if it works they will incorporate it into the current health plan.

They are concentrating more on preventing problems rather than just treating existing symptoms. That sounds like a good way to go, but I've never put much faith in herbs and "alternative" medicines. They aren't suggesting we ignore our regular doctors, though.

I've never believed that magnets can help in the healing process. I don't think that will be part of this case study, but they are all in the same field. "Detoxifying" sounds like it would be a good thing to do, but what exactly does that mean? In one meeting the HR people were telling us how diet soda is bad for you because of the aspartame. I started drinking diet soda a few years ago to cut back on sugar from regular soda. Ok, so diet soda apparently isn't any better for you, and may even be worse? I decided to cut out (or cut back) on soda and coffee and started drinking more water. Yesterday I was re-filling a bottle of water when I ran across one of the HR guys. He tells me I shouldn't drink water from plastic bottle because the plastic gives off toxins, that I should be drinking from a glass container.

So it isn't just *what* you drink or eat, but it's also *how* you do it.

Next they'll tell me doughnuts aren't good for me, or something silly like that.


-- C.

6 Comments:

Blogger Marcus said...

I'm sorry, but you shouldn't be wearing shoes. We would like all of the staff to start wearing sandals. By the way, did we mention that three staff members are getting kickbacks for our consulting fees? Anyway, more to the point, we need the entire staff to also bring in a cup of coffee to the new 2' plastic Buddha and disregard the flies. Also, each person shall have in his cubicle an aromatherapy candle.

Sorry, Cerpicio, yours is foot smell, but it will give you walking stamina or something like that. Your clothes will, well ... stink like feet. The cubicle next to you has ... let's see here, uh ... detoxifying flatus. While burning, the fumes will help that person dispell any unwanted gas. You also might experience some side effects from that as well.

We've installed hamster water dispensers made of steel and glass, so you don't need to get up to the water fountain and there are herb dishes at each desk.

June 21, 2006 11:30 AM  
Blogger KJS said...

...and we wonder why insurance costs are out of control. They are probably slipping in a little clause about no longer including coverage for hospitals or surgery.

I guess they better stop storing blood for transfusions in plastic if it is so toxic.

(Jeff, you gave me a lot to talk about...)

About astertame.... that has some validity. It causes brain cancer in about every lab animal it touches. It is illegal in Europe (which does not really tell us much). Lisa's doctor made sure that she did not injest any while pregnant. And some fun conspiracy theory: Donald Rumsfeld was the chair of the company that developed it. The FDA refused to approve it. Under Regan, said Rumsfeld was somehow elected to the head of the FDA. Aspertane approved. Right now, 1/3 of all amerians are expected to get cancer at some point in their life. (conspiracy theory mode off)

Homeopathic = (literally) non-scientific

thats it. Have a nice day.

June 21, 2006 4:36 PM  
Blogger KJS said...

well, a quick fact check shot down that conspiracy theory. the FDA dude that approved it was Arthur Hull Hayes, against the advise of the Public board of inquiry. Although Rumsfeld was CEO of G.D. Searle (who developed it, he was never involved with the FDA, although his Wikipedia BIO says this:

It was under Rumsfeld that Searle got FDA approval for the controversial artificial sweetener, aspartame, which it marketed as NutraSweet. Some believe that the approval of aspartame was influenced by conflict of interest and that persons involved in the aspartame approval process were rewarded with high paying jobs or consulting positions.

I had better get back to work now....

June 21, 2006 4:55 PM  
Blogger KJS said...

And while I am avoiding work by having a conversation with myself, I wanted to add that because I am a fan of conspitacy theories, I dont believe in them. Avoiding fatty foods (which I do poorly) is higher on my list than avoiding diet cola. I just do not like to taste of diet soda.

June 21, 2006 5:36 PM  
Blogger Marcus said...

I gave up soda for beer! I guess that I'll just kill my liver and be done with it, rather than the slow agony of cancer -- no stranger to my family and family tree.

June 21, 2006 6:46 PM  
Blogger MR said...

Well this is ONE "amerian" [sic] that thinks that "Regan" [sic] was a great president and disregard all "conspitacy" [sic] theories about his administration. I also think if you take those herbs, you'll get [sic] and one day the FBI will be surrounding your compound telling you to renounce your golden calf prophet and sent him out to be shot.

June 23, 2006 3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home