Friday, January 13, 2006

Regarding teachers

Why do teachers get paid so little? I worked as a network guy at my old high school while I finished my Bachelor's degree*. They started me off at a salary equivalent to a teacher with five years of experience. It wasn't bad for a single guy college guy / recent graduate, but as the main income for the head of a household?

A good teacher can have a huge influence on a child (on the other hand a bad teacher can also have a huge influence on a child). Why wouldn't you want to attract the best possible people for the job? I guess low salaries will only attract people who really (really!) want to be a teacher and not people who are just out for money. But there has to be a better way to weed out ineffective teachers.

How can we change this national perception that's it is okay to pay teachers practically nothing?


-- C.
* A side note: As I was coming to the of my college education my mother strongly suggested I start sending out resumes. "No one is going to just come up to you and offer you a job," she chided. Well.... One day I got a call from the principal of my old high school. The previous computer teacher was leaving and he suggested they talk to me to see if I was interested. He knew I liked computers and knew I was finishing up my degree and might be avilable.

So, yes mom, people DO actually call you up and offer you a job, even if you don't send out resumes. But I wouldn't recommend that strategy to anyone.

1 Comments:

Blogger Marcus said...

My guess is that people either don't understand or don't care about the situation. Take for instance, babysitting. How many people pay baby sitters very little? Isn't they're child (ren) the most precious thing(s) of all?

hmmm

makes you wonder

January 15, 2006 9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home