Wednesday, September 19, 2007

"Only three connections"

By "only three connections" I was thinking water in, drain out, and electrical. I still blame Dave for making it sound like it would be a breeze. Hey, I have to vent somehow.

My brother was busy so my dad came over. We went to the hardware store and told the sales guy what we needed. He looked around and couldn't find the right piece. Instead, we ended up getting two more pieces that will make the connection we need.

I put the Teflon tape on the threads and started connecting all the bits, being careful to make sure it is all tight enough so it won't leak but not too tight to strip the screws. We got the incoming water line hooked up without much difficulty. The electrical and the drain hose were too short to connect without putting the new dishwasher in place. And that's where the trouble began again.

It's a tight fit side-to-side, and we couldn't take the counter top off all the way, just lift it about an inch out of the way. Plus there is about a quarter-inch of flooring in front of the space where the dishwasher is supposed to go. We push, and tug, and lift, and wiggle, and finally get it in place. But we find out we got it too far in. Now the balancing feet are on the base floor board, behind the quarter-inch wooden flooring. Whenever we tried to lift up the appliance the feet got caught underneath the flooring and we couldn't scoot it back out.

We struggled for quite a while trying to get it out, using pieces of wood to prop it up, and longer pieces of wood to lever it up higher. Finally I gave the go-ahead for Dad to take a screwdriver and hammer and just knock off a chuck on the flooring. It's back far enough no one will see it under the dishwasher.

We finally got it about where we want it. It's still a tight fit on the sides though. We tried to hook up the drain hose and realized the ring clamp has slipped down the existing hose and we couldn't reach it any more. We decided it's much better to run the the hardware store and spend a buck on a new clamp, rather than try to take the dishwasher out and hunt for the old clamp.

Connecting the drain hose was pretty easy, but the ground wire gave us problems. It's supposed to screw on to a plate connected to part of the frame, but the screw wouldn't go in. Either we got it cross-threaded or there were no threads to begin with. We finally muscled it into place.

By this time it's 9:30 PM. We turn the water back on and make sure there are no leaks, but everyone is tired and not wanting to do a test load. If something were to go wrong we'd be up all night.

Unfortunately we're busy tonight. We probably won't be able to do a test load until tomorrow night. I still have to adjust the balance feet and we may have to find a way to trim off some of the wooden counter on either side. But everything is connected and I think we're 90% of the way complete.

I'm still trying to decide if $120 would have been worth it to have them install. It would have been a lot easier for us if we had just a little bit more room to work with.


-- C.

2 Comments:

Blogger MR said...

There are some people who take a certain pride in maintaining their home... they like to stand back after a job well done and say "that's a job well done."

I'm not one of them. I fix computers and networks. There's someone out there who installs dishwashers every day, and I support his livelihood by employing him. He will do in fifteen minutes what would take me hours if not days and expend my patience, maybe even my blood. I opt for the most efficient solution. And, when I think about how much I would pay myself hourly for my labor, the dishwasher installation guy is a bargain.

Actually, I think I caught Sears having a sale when I moved into my house and since I bought several appliances at once, I believe I got free installation. But I'd have paid the $120 and had the piece of mind that a professional did it and my floor isn't being warped by a leak a month later.

I did install my own storm door. It was while I was cutting through the metal with a hacksaw that I decided all of this.

Also, when buying something, ANYthing, I don't go cheap. Even with rakes. Rakes have been around almost as long as leaves. You would think they know how to make a rake...and they do. BUT after they make a GOOD rake, they make one EVERYONE can afford. So, you can get the rake with the screw holding the rake to the handle, or you can buy the one that's GLUED on (and, incidentally, still has a hole where YOU can put in a screw if you want). BUT, you might try to put the screw in and split your cheap handle. Anyway, the point is, just buy the rake with the screw in it and be done with it. If you break a rake, the rake company certainly doesn't mind you buying another one.

September 19, 2007 7:47 PM  
Blogger davesbeachbar said...

Damn, you sound like you had as much fun as I usually do. Just the first of many of these little projects Mr. Homeowner. It does sound like you encountered a little more than average problems. I have replaced two diswashers and didn't have half of your problems. Even though I did encounter the problem of them installing a wood floor after the dishwasher, but lucky for me I had enough wiggle room to get it out without resorting to raising the counter. I would have never thought of that!!

Just think.. if you would have paid the $120 you know they would have delieved it to your old apartment and then REFUSED to drive down the road just like moving day. (Man that still steams me.) Lucky for you you have some family who are pretty handy just like I have my father-in-law. Take that $120 and buy Paula something nice for the baby. Enjoy that money while you can still have $120 to throw around because it won't be for long :)

September 20, 2007 8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home