Tuesday, December 06, 2005

What I want for Christmas

It doesn't exist yet, but I'm holding out. It should be available in a few years.

You see, I have a cell phone with a 1.3 megapixel ditigal camera in it. It takes photos and videos, neither of which are great quality, but hey, what do you expect. I can even browse the Internet with it, to a limited degree. I can record whatever audio sound effects I want and assign it as a ring tone. It has a nice display screen, full color. I can play games on it, too, but I haven't tried it yet (it costs extra). I can flip it open and talk to anyone else who has one of these communicators -- er, cell phones; sorry, Star Trek flashback. I can just speak their name and the phone dials for me (some setup required). Seriously: Just. Like. Star Trek. Even better, because they weren't sending photos and videos back and forth to each other!

I also have a 5 megapixel digital camera that is about the size of a deck of cards (Sony DSC-T1). With a high-speed memory card I can take video at 640x480 at 32(?) FPS, which is pretty good quality. I could set various camera settings, too, if I understood photography better. It has a nice big screen, and even a microphone and speaker for recording and playback.

I don't have one at this point, but I'm sure you're all familiar with iPods and other MP3 players. The newest iPods support photos and video, though they don't record. I don't think they even record audio. They have nice big full-color screens and good audio output. They are also smaller than a deck of cards. Some MP3 players receive AM and FM signals.

What I want, and I'm sure it's coming, is a small device that handles all of these functions. There's a lot of similarity between these devices: big full-color screen, microphone, speaker, and storage space. The phone has a keypad that doubles as a keyboard when needed.

I want one device that can take good quality photos and videos, allow me to call my friends and family with a clear connection, and can play audio files in high fidelity. If I can browse the Internet, check email, play games, and view streaming video, that'd be even better. (Verizon has VCAST streaming video, but not in my city.) Preferably, it will have an AM /FM radio and can record from there, too.

I didn't say I wanted it this Christmas...just some Christmas.
-- C.

Actually, it may be closer than I thought. I co-worker was just showing me his PDA that has removable memory cards. He has two or three movies on one card and can watch them on this device. It is a cell phone, but I don't think it can take pictures or record video.

Maybe next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home