Friday, January 25, 2008

Door to door

We have had five different sales people stop by our house in the last two weeks. Who waits till the middle of Winter to do their door-to-door sales calls? Do they think we'll be more sympathetic? Actually, it annoys me that I have to hold the door open and talk to them, letting all that Winter in.

The first guy started off handling me a bottle of liquid hand soap, saying it was a sample. He then asked if I had heard about his product and if I had a few minutes to give an honest opinion. I wasn't interest and was actually on my way out, so I declined. Before he walked away he said, "Do you mind if I have that back? We usually just give it to people that let us do the demonstration." Wow, what kind of guts is that? I'm standing there with their "gift" in my hand and he asks for it back? Why hand it over in the first place without knowing how I'm going to answer?

We also had two different Verizon guys stop but to discuss the wonders of FIOS, and a guy talking about a different source for our gas.

Then a kid came around selling the newspaper. We've gotten it before and it usually goes unread. Even when we just got the weekend paper. I politely declined. He asked if I wanted to help him go to Cedar Point or some other theme park, since it's only a dollar a day for the paper. Again I politely declined. He seemed pretty hurt and annoyed that I wouldn't help him and walked away without another word. No "thank you for your time" or anything like that. Just left.

I don't want to see my heating bill for this month.


-- C.

2 Comments:

Blogger MR said...

I think they're hoping you'll invite them in... and once they get their foot in the door, most people won't ask them to leave.

I usually step outside and close the door. I did this with the Verizon guy once. He was going on about it and I stopped him by saying "geez... you know, it's getting cold out here, so I'm going to cut this short. Thanks anyway." And went back inside.

January 26, 2008 1:10 AM  
Blogger davesbeachbar said...

if just ONE more of those freakin verizon people stop by the house I am seriously get their supervisors name and call. In the past few months we have had at least 10 people stop by trying to sell us fios. I am thinking of putting a sign in the window, "we shoot every 3rd verizon salesman, the 2nd one just left" but I will probably get the cops called on me

This one guy tried to bully Jen into it a little, but lucky for us she knows her stuff (masters degree and all) and is not one to be bullied.

January 28, 2008 10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home