Monday, March 05, 2007

Weekend

This was a fun, busy weekend. Saturday I got up early and went to a seminar hosted by YLNI. They provided a DiSC personality assessment and then spent most of the morning and some of the afternoon talking about it and how it applies in the work place.

If you're not familiar with it, it categorizes your personality into a combination of four different characteristics, Dominance, Influence, Steadiness, and Conscientiousness. (I'll give my interpretation of the traits, which may not be in full alignment with the test's definition.) The "D" trait is what you would associate with "Type A" personalities. They are direct and in a hurry to get things done quickly and move on to the next. Rush-rush-rush. The "I" trait gives an indication of how energetic and social you are. They like verbal interaction and finding out personal details. The "S" trait is related to loyalty and steadiness. They are usually calmer, quieter, and easy-going. The "C" trait has to do with precision and following rules. They tend to ask "Why?" a lot. (A better definition)

Of course, there are many combinations of these traits. Some people have an even balance of all four. Different personality types are not good or bad; they are just different!

In the workplace, you need a good mix of personality types. You need the "D" types to drive the workflow and make sure things are getting done. You need the "I" types to champion your cause. You need the "S" types to slough through the work and make sure it gets done right. And you need the "C" types to check the details amd sure they are correct.

Overall it was fun and informative. I look forward to more YLNI gatherings.

After that, my wife and I went to the Home & Garden show. They had a speaker lined up to talk about moles and how to catch (read: kill) them. He is appropriately called The Mole Hunter (his real name is Jeff Holper). I found him to be a good speaker and very funny ("I guess I just like killing things"). He offered T-shirts with outlines of moles, so you could check-off an outline each time you kill a mole. I'll post more on moles when I get around to tackling the problem in our back yard.

We left the Coliseum around 7:30 PM and discovered that the roads had really iced up while we were inside. It was horrible driving. It took about twice as long to get home and I don't think we saw a dry patch of road the whole way. I was getting pretty frustrated that the city had let the roads get so bad. We made it home safely, but we did see a truck spin sideways. Fortunately there was no one next to him; he just righted himself and kept going.

Sunday morning was church and brunch with my parents, as usual. This time my brother and his daughter joined us. When we finished, Paula and I went to Glenbrook to walk around a while. In the afternoon we went back to my parents and hung out for a couple hours. We also got to see my sister-in-law and her new baby (what a cutie!).

We haven't seen a movie at the theater in a long time. There are several we were interested in, but settled on "Wild Hogs" for a bit of fun. I liked it a lot. Sure it was predictable, but it was laugh-out-loud funny. Don't expect a deep plot, just sit there and enjoy it for what it is – four buddies go on a road trip but things don't turn out quite like they planned.

Next we did our weekly shopping and got home in time for a late dinner. As we walked in the door, the cats were there to greet us, which is pretty unusual. I suddenly remembered that we were in a hurry that morning and left without feeding them, thinking we'd be home around lunch time and feed them then. They had a little left in their bowls, so they weren't completely starving. We fed them a little left-over chicken to assuage our guilt.

I hope you all had a safe and enjoyable weekend.


Mood: Cautiously optimistic.
-- C.

1 Comments:

Blogger Marcus said...

Sounds fun!

March 05, 2007 7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home