Friday, May 19, 2006

DVD Rentals

I guess Paula got tired of watching the movies I put in my Netflix queue (zombie movies, movies others suggested but which suck, movies I remembered as being good but really aren't, etc). She asked me to add a few movies she was interested in, such as Memoirs of a Geisha, The Family Stone, Capote, and Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Last night we were watching The Family Stone. My old DVD player hasn't worked well for a long time, so we've been watching movies on the PS2. The cats were playing around in front of the TV when one of them got the bright idea to run-as-fast-as-he-can into the kitchen and the other followed right behind, without regard to any cords that might be between them and their destination.

The PS2 was knocked to the floor and the movie stopped playing.

We had a "chat" with the cats, and after we got back from the vet...I'm KIDDING!

We picked things up and tried to start the movie again, but the PS2 kept reporting "Unable to read disc." We opened it up and cleaned the DVD a little, but the PS2 refused to continue the movie. We tried another DVD and it worked. We tried The Family Stone again, but still got nothing. I put in a game and it worked. But not the movie we wanted to finish watching.

(Paula had some interesting ideas:
P: Did it get erased?
J: No, I don't think the PS2 is powerful enough do that....
P: Did it get de-magnetized?
J: No, it isn't magnetic.
P: Maybe it *got* magnetized?
J: I really don't think it works like that.)

She started getting her shoes on. "Where are you going?" "We're going to the store to rent it so we can finish watching it tonight." "*WE* are? It's after 8 PM."

I convinced her to just send it back to Netflix and get a replacement, even though it would mean a few days delay before we finished it.

This morning I brought the DVD with me to work and tried it in my laptop. Worked fine. I'll take the laptop home with me tonight we we can watch the rest of it. But why in the world is the PS2 so prejudice against this particular DVD? "Hmm, last time I was playing this movie you threw me on the floor! I ain't playing that one again!"


-- C.

2 Comments:

Blogger davesbeachbar said...

Don't you just love the "WE" factor once you get married.

May 19, 2006 2:35 PM  
Blogger Marcus said...

Somebody hates these cans! You'll have to let me know how it was.

I like the "chat" with the cats. Hey, Sam ... come here and we'll ... [cat leaves].

How about Death to Smoochie? Just kidding ... I heard nothing bad ill about it.

May 19, 2006 4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home