Sunday, March 05, 2006

Cartoon music

Do you remember watching Saturday morning cartoons? Bugs Bunny, Yosemite Sam, and Daffy Duck? Do you remember the "assembly line" music? I also associate it with construction scenes in the cartoons (pile drivers almost smashing poor innocent characters).

It turns out that music was scored by a professional composer by the name of Raymond Scott. He was a talented musician as well as an electrical engineer. He combined his two interests and by 1948 had his own electronic sound generator. But even before that he was working for Warner Brothers and Looney Tunes, and "contrary to the composer's intentions, all generations since have heard his works as 'cartoon music.'"

How do I know this and why do I bring it up now? Because the Philmarmonic is going to perform "Powerhouse" (the "assembly line" music) on the 18th and we already happen to have tickets.

Ooo, I'm so excited. I always loved that bit of music, but they never played much of it in the cartoons. Now I get a chance to hear the whole piece all at once!

Also that night will be "Grand Canyon Suite" by Grofe and Rachmaninoff's "Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini." (I just wanted to say Rachmaninoff and Paganini.)

Don't know what I'm talking about? Check out some of Scott's work here.



-- C.

2 Comments:

Blogger Marcus said...

I'm rather used to hearing that music while in school ... especially when I see thousands of papers, and papers, and papers

March 06, 2006 4:05 PM  
Blogger jflash said...

Its also used as background music for cartoons featuring rube goldberg machines, excellent

May 24, 2007 6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home