Thursday, February 02, 2006

Easy come, easy go?

As I mentioned, I won an iPod Shuffle at the conference. I installed iTunes on my laptop and managed to put a couple songs (and one of my friend's ArchTalk podcasts) on the device before leaving for the airport.

We took the shuttle from the hotel to the airport, checked our bags, and headed to security. The line wasn't too long, much to my relief. When it was my turn, I pulled the laptop out of its bag, took off my shoes, and arranged the rest of my stuff in a tray. But I left a few things in my shirt pocket; I didn't think they'd be a problem. However, I set off the beeper as I went through the metal detector, so I backed up and emptied the rest of the stuff into a little tray. This time through the detector was silent.

I grabbed my shoes and put them on while I waited for my laptop to come through the X-ray machine. I was trying to hurry and move along, but the laptop just sat there. When they finally moved it along I stuffed it back in the bag and met up with my co-worker to find our gate.

Our flight left from a separate terminal (D terminal for those who are familiar with Vegas airport), so we took a tram over to it. We found our gate and I sat down to relax and listen to my brand new iPod. Hmm, not in this pocket. Not in my coat pocket. Not in my shirt pocket.

Ah crap.

I had left it at security in my rush to get out of their way. I started heading back and came across an information booth. The kind lady said I should hurry back to where I left it; if they sent it on to Lost & Found it'd be very difficult to retrieve. I took the tram back again and made my way to security. There was a nice security guard cleaning stuff up. I told him the situation and he said he had just taken it to the security booth. We walked over to it, he went inside, and returned with my iPod and my memory stick (with lots of files on it that I've never backed up anywhere else). I was very relieved! He had me sign for it and I was on my way back to the gate.

All-in-all it was a good flight experience, despite the cancellation and re-routing at the beginning of our trip. The other passengers weren't too bad either. Although, as I sat on the plane to leave Vegas, a woman sat down next to me, pulled out a Burger King bag, and proceeded to eat a nice, juicy, fragrant, Whopper. Man, that's not fair. Here's a tip people: Don't bring food like that on a plane, it will just piss-off your neighbors.

The first half of the flight from Dallas to home was very rough and bouncy. The pilot apologized but said there was little he could do. I found the flight to be more turbulent than the NASCAR ride! It settled down after a while and I made it back home safely. It was a very fun and exciting trip! Er, I mean, it was a helpful, informative, and very useful conference.


-- C.

1 Comments:

Blogger Marcus said...

Oh ... wait, I was there for a purpose ... wasn't I? All in all, it sounds like you have a great time!

The so-called turbulence was probably the crew doing calesthenics in the cockpit.

February 02, 2006 9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home