Thursday, October 11, 2007

Classical music

A couple years ago Paula and I won Philharmonic tickets in an auction. It was a complete steal, getting two season tickets for about the price of two one-show tickets. I enjoyed going to the shows even though I don't know much about classical music. I don't know my Bach from my Beethoven. I like some of it and want to learn more about it, but I don't know where to begin. I've started listening to some classical music on the radio, and I've learned a couple composers, but it's a pretty small sampling.

Do any of my faithful readers know much about classical music? I do have Holst's "The Planets" which is pretty good. I'd like to hear more but I don't want to blindly spend money on CDs that I may not like.

I find it very interesting that music from hundreds of years ago is still being listened to today. I would be surprised (and embarrassed) if any of today's music lasts over 100 years.


-- C.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Marcus said...

Limewire will help you scan through samples. More than just the artist, it is the piece. You have movements and acts from Operas or spritely dances to melancholy. If you want a piece, you'd have to ask someone the right question. Merely asking, "so what's good here", may not help you or the learned person(s). Rachmaninov is more 'hip' while 18th century tends to be more somber -- an exception being Wagner with thunder and lightning -- very, very frightening.

October 11, 2007 9:34 PM  
Blogger MR said...

I would recommend MDH for all you need to know about classical music and wine selection, also chess strategy, pipe fragrances and what cigars are best with brandy. You should also see his collection of rifles, some antibellum with musket loader intact. He also could tell you a thing or two about bow hunting, the best breeds of hunting dogs and where to invest.

but if you want some correct information... go somewhere else, none of us slobs knows nothin'. "Help me Google search engine, you're my only hope."
Limewire was a good suggestion, though. No sense spending a lot of money.

October 11, 2007 11:13 PM  
Blogger Marcus said...

I wrote, "learned person", and I am not the classical musician master, for sure.

October 12, 2007 11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just start watching "Little Einsteins" now. You'll end up watching them sooner or latter anyway and each episode has a featured composer and piece. No real info on the actual composer(most preschoolers don't care about when these people lived etc.) but you will at least know what their music was like. Plus, you'll learn a little about art as well.

October 17, 2007 9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home